Thursday, May 11, 2006

Love at First Sight Part 2

(I was falling asleep typing last night, so I decided to just break up this post.)

I did not pass out. This had been a major concern. I don't handle blood well, and other peoples' pain really bothers me. And labor tends to involve a lot of both. But I knew I had to be there for Kate so I steeled myself and remained conscious.

After a year or so of trying to get pregnant, the nine months of pregnancy, and nine hours of labor, Jack was here. Seeing your child for the first time has to be the most amazing experience in life. I can't think of anything I have ever experienced that felt so wonderful.

When he came out the first thing the Dr. did was hand him to Kate. And what did my little boy do? He pooped all over his Mommy.

But the coolest part for me was when they took him over to the incubator. For those that don't know, when a baby is born the nurses take him to the other side of the room to clean him up and make sure he is healthy. The Dad gets to go over with him. Jack was screaming, like most babies do, and I walked over and started talking to him. As soon as I reached Jack he immediately turned to me, stopped crying, and grabbed on to my finger. I'm sure it was coincidence, but it seemed like he recognized my voice. This, of course, made me cry.

We spent the rest of the day and the next basking in his glory and not getting any sleep. The lack of sleep made the time Jack spent in the Special Care nursery even rougher. But the nurses were very nice and everything worked out just fine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwwww.that one brought tears to my eyes (really it did!!!)

amy7252 said...

Jack knew your voice, Joe! That's sooooo awesome. We are basking in Jack's glory all the way over here in Paris. ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the birth of your first child. I am old friends with Jack's grandparents, Rosie and Larry.
They are very proud. She gave me this site. I really enjoyed the pictures, they are adorable. You are a very good writer. Very funny too. You remind me alot of Larry. We don't get to see them very much, but I will always cherish past, present and future memories with them. Again I wish the next generation of Weber's the best. Susie in Indiana.