Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dance Dance Dance (or Dnce Dnce Dnce)

(Yes, I stole the title from the Beach Boys and Haruki Murakami.)

Jack is turning into quite the dancer. Dancing has, quite possibly, turned into his absolutely favorite thing to do. To him, dancing and music are inseparable. (I'm sure my friend Jesse can't wait to take him polka dancing.) Actually, he calls both dancing and music "dnce," or "dunce." Anytime he hears just a snippet of music, his eyes light up, he exclaims "dnce!" and starts bobbing his head or swaying back and forth. (As you will see in the video, he has even added the sprinkler to his repertoire of dance moves.) And if you have ever seen me dance, then you are aware that he certainly did not inherit his funky moves from me. Kate is a better dancer than me, but...that is all I will say about that.

He even figured out the source of most of the dance music in our house. Whenever he wants to listen to music, he walks over to the stereo and points to it, asks "Dnce?," and gives a short demonstration to make sure we understand what he wants. Scarily, he is even starting to figure out the DVD player. The big No No in our living room is the TV, DVD player, etc. But of course, that just means he wants to play with it that much more. Anyway, the other day we were playing and he suddenly ran over to the stereo, grabbed one of his CDs, looked at me and asked "Dnce?" Before I could say "No No" and get over there, he was trying to put the CD in the DVD player. I stood there flabbergasted as he nonchalantly reached down and hit the eject button to put in the CD. Other times, I have seen him go to the DVD player with his finger pointed to "Play." Kate later remarked that Jack already can work it better than her.

Jack's current favorite for dancing seems to be Squirrel Nut Zippers. Enjoy!


1 comment:

Katrina said...

Too cute!! Isn't it funny how they sort of bob and weave as they dance at this age? Asher just sort of bobs his knees up and down -- that's his version of dancing. How old is Jack now???