Friday, May 07, 2010

Highlights of a Four-Year Old's Birthday (Warning, Longish)



Jack spent a good part of his birthday trying to see what he could get away with. (Which is what Kate usually does the entire week of her birthday.) In some ways it was fun to spoil him. In others, I had to grit my teeth a bit.

6:04 - Cheerily gets me out of bed. "You've got to be kidding?" is what I want to say, but I bite that back and not-so-cheerily tell him "Happy Birthday."
6:10 - Snuggles with Mommy before she goes to work.
6:30 - Says he does not want any milk to drink, even after much cajoling.
6:31 - We go to the basement to watch Thomas.
6:32 - Complains (Read: whines) loudly that he is so thirsty and really wants some milk.
6:50 - Asks me if I will get a specific book for him to read. I look over and see that it is on the couch with him, just out of reach. "But I can't reach it! It's my birthday."
7:00 - When asked what he would like for breakfast, announces "It's my birthday. I don't want to eat anything"
7:01 - When informed that by not eating anything he does not get to go to McDonald's or have birthday cake, decides he would like to a Birthday Biscuit. "Birthday Biscuit?" "Yes. It's a biscuit with butter that I do not have to all of." "Uh, okay."
7:02 - Requests to watch TV while eating breakfast. Well, okay
7:30 - Requests to watch another Thomas. "Well, it is your birthday...so okay."
8:05 - Requests to watch yet another Thomas. (See above, but with more of me trying to convince him otherwise.)
8:30 - Me: What special things do you want to do today, Jack?
Jack: Well, there are two things I want to do. I want to eat at my favorite restaurant, McDonald's and have chicken nuggets, fridees, apples, and a sprite. I want to go to a toy store and pick out a present!
Me: Wouldn't you like to go to a park and play on a playground?
Jack: Actually, there are three things I want to do.

**Various playing and testing limits by doing naughty things he knows he shouldn't that cause me to say "I don't care if it is your birthday, you do that again and you are in time out."

9:00 - After much convincing that he couldn't wear pajamas all day, picks a green striped polo shirt to wear with gray sweat shorts...accompanied by an evil grin because he knows it will annoy me.
10:00 - Leave to find a park with a playground.
10:15 - Arrive at a park to find that there is no parking and the entrance is chained.
10:30 - Arrive at another park to find there is no parking, but that does not deter us.
10:45 - Standing on this park's single little piece of play equipment, he announces in a disheartened voice that he would like to go find another playground. (This was said while I was keeping Amelie from playing with the trash strewn around that sorry excuse for a park. He made a wise choice.)
11:00 - Arrive at yet another park to find that it is chained off and much construction equipment stands between us and the Weeees! as Amelie calls them.

**Insert us driving to find a park and Jack excitedly pointing once a block exclaiming, "There's a playground!" and me responding "Uh, that's those people's swing set."

11:19 - Arrive at Winton Woods and drive around trying to find a playground...only to find we need a "vehicle pass" to park with no clue where to purchase said pass. Disappointed, we head to the store.
11:50 - Arrive at Meijer for him to pick out his toy and get soup for his requested Birthday lunch of Grilled Cheese and Yellow Soup. (Though we had to substitute Red Soup.) He also picked out a little cake for that night. With all the available choices, he picked the same exact pink cake he picked last year. (But with white trim instead of yellow.)

12:30 - (Now home) Jack: Can I take of my pants for lunch?
Me: No, you need to wear pants while you eat.
Jack : Can I take them off for my nap?
Me: Knock yourself out.

**Not only requests to go take a nap, but takes a long one!**

3:30 - After he waking up, I tell him we will do whatever he wants, play outside, play train, cars, etc. He requests more TV. (I usually limit his television to just a little in the morning, so I guess this was a big treat.)

5:00 - We go to his favorite restaurant.
6:00 - Home for presents and pink cake. (And, of course, eats only the icing.)
7:00 - "Mommy and Daddy, this was the best birthday ever!"


Icing bliss

No comments: