Sunday, April 30, 2006

Two (Quick) Things Not to Do to a Pregnant Woman

I made two big mistakes this weekend. Well one small and one very, very big one.

1. Humor is (apparently) not appreciated when you are at the store picking out a breast pump. Kate found this to be a slightly traumatic experience and my various attempts to lighten the mood were met with stern looks. She has relaxed a tad about it, though. At the store I referred to the breast cream as "Boob Lube" and the name seems to have stuck since she is now calling it that.

2. (I tried to blame this one on ADD, but it was more a case of just plain stupidity.) Kate keeps forgetting that her belly sticks out a lot more now so she runs into things a lot--especially me. She will start to give me hug and not stop in time. I am usually thrown off balance a bit. Well, yesterday this happened a couple of times and we got some laughs out of it. I said something (who knows what) and she countered that I better watch out or she would attack me with her belly. And then I did it. I said, "Oh, you're going to pull some Sumo moves on me, are you?" I then proceeded to make some vague Japanese-like utterances and went into what I would call a Sumo pose--you know, crouched down a little, hands on the knees. I took a couple of Sumo steps toward her and quickly backed up afraid. As soon as I saw the look on her face, I knew I was in trouble. Seriously, I thought I was a dead man. We were in the kitchen and she had knives, frying pans, and wooden spoons at her disposal. Many profuse apologies later, all was mostly okay. Heck, I didn't even have to sleep on the couch. But I don't think I will ever equate a pregnant woman with a Sumo wrestler again.

No comments: