Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Jack was Due Yesterday

So yesterday was the day Jack was supposed to be born. But being impatient like his Daddy and Mommy he had to come early. It is hard to believe that he is eleven days old already. He is growing up so fast. If you look at the pictures from the first time I posted them to yesterday, you can see that he is starting to develop his features some more. Rather than just looking like a generic cute baby he is starting to look more like a little boy. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but Kate and her mom agree with me so I must not be completely crazy.

Besides the lack of sleep and getting peed on, the most challenging part of being a father so far is dressing Jack. The art of putting clothes on a squirmy newborn has so far eluded me. It takes me longer than it should to dress Jack, and he tends to get rather pissed off at me. (And I in turn get pissed on...)

I guess it should not be too big a shock that I cannot dress him since half the time I can't even dress myself. Kate is constantly exasperated with me at the issues I have putting my duds on properly. Allow me to elaborate. A couple of years ago I went to my current eye doctor for the first time. He did the exam, turned on the lights, and then started to explain things to me...in small words. He explained things to me slowly and in very simple terms. He then asked what I did for a living, and when I informed him that I was in grad school at UM (his alma mater) he acted very surprised. This all puzzled me until I got home and looked in the mirror. Apparently he though I was a tad "special" since my sweatshirt was on inside out and backwards. (I think my socks were mismatched too, but I don't think he could have seen this.) How can I dress a little boy when I can't even dress myself?

A couple of people have suggested that if I had played with dolls when I was younger I wouldn't have so much trouble dressing him. This may be true, but dolls do not squiggle so much and I am sure that the stigma of playing with dolls would have made me even more unpopular than I already was.

Here is my suggestion for those of you that plan on being parents and did not play with squirmy dolls when you were younger. Start playing dress-up with your pets. Since dogs are not usually too against wearing a sweater or bandana, try putting a onsey or swaddler on your cat. And if your cat has claws, you get the added bonus of trying to do it quicker so as not to get gored. If you can get your cat dressed quickly, I'm sure you could dress a baby.

Here Kitty-Kitty!



No comments: