Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Swimming!

Jack had his first swimming lesson at the YMCA tonight. We wanted to sign him up last year, but various circumstances prevented it. (Grad school, uncertainty of when/where we would be moving, etc.) He really needs the lessons, though, because he is terrified of water. Bath time is always an adventure because he hates to get even a drop of water on his face--his stinker little sister thinks it is hilarious to splash him in the face--and he will not go in anything deeper than a wading pool.

When I asked him a couple of weeks ago if he wanted to take swimming lessons, he got a very thoughtful look on his face.
Jack: Yes, I think I would. Will there be friends there?
Me: Yes.
J: Is NeNe (Kate's Mom) going to teach me how to swim?
Me: Uh, no. It will be a stranger.
J: Oh. That's okay. I guess swimming lessons will be okay. But I would rather take airplane flying lessons.

Last week, we really started talking them up to him to get him excited. But then we realized his view of what would be involved was a little skewed.

J: The water will not be deep, right?
Me: A little deep.
J: But not deeper than a bath?
Me: Uh, yes. It will be a lot deeper than a bath.
J: Oh. But there will be a big pirate ship, right? (The last hotel we stayed at had a big pirate ship at the pool.)
Me: I really doubt it.
J: But there might be.
Me: There could, but I don't think the Y swimming pools have pirate ships.
J: Oh. Well, I have to remember to take my bubbles.
Me: Your bubbles? You don't take bubbles.
J: Oh, they will have some there for me?
Me: No, there will not be bubbles.
J: But Mommy said I have to learn how to blow bubbles in the water there!


Despite his misconceptions (and our worries that he would completely freak out and scream), Jack did an excellent job. He was easily the most cautious and timid kid there, but he still did every thing the teacher asked him...with a lot of coaxing, but he still did it all without freaking out. I'm optimistic that he will learn to like the water over the next few weeks.

No comments: