Friday, August 13, 2010

18 Months

Hard to believe, but my baby girl is 1-1/2 years old today.

I had to be mean and take Amelie this morning for her check-up. Amelie really despises going to the doctor. As soon as we went into the exam room she started crying and yelled, "No sot!" (She had to get one prick and one shot. See rant below.)

All is well with her. We've been noticing that all of her summer clothes are rapidly shrinking. No wonder, she grew THREE inches in three months. Her height was literally "off the chart" for her age. (Edit -- I moved my rant about the nurse. See shortened version below.)

Kate and I were trying to figure out how to celebrate her 1/2 birthday. Jack is at his NeNe's for a couple of days, so we did not want to be too exciting. And Lily Belle is at that age that is impossible for eating out. (At least it has been with both our kids.) We really were not sure what to do. But Amelie decided for us. We were watching Wonder Pets! this afternoon when one of the characters mentioned pizza. Amelie perked up and said (well, demanded), "Ah wan peesha! Eat peasha?!?" She loves pizza, so we ordered one for her, and it seemed to be exactly what she wanted.

********************************************************************************
Edited Rant about Nurse--outline version. (The original version was just too long and whiny.)

1. Nurse: Do you have a nickname I can call her? Something easier? That name is just impossible to pronounce.
Really? She just said that? We do, but...wow.

2. Wait, you are pricking her foot first? Before measuring her, checking bp, or letting the Dr. see her?
And yes, she did scream hysterically the rest of the visit.

3. Nurse: Take this Autism checklist home, fill it out, and bring it back.
Me: Uhhh, it's only 20 yes/no questions? Why can't I do it now?
Nurse: You want to do it now? But will you know the answers to the questions?
Me: May I have a pen please?

3 comments:

Andrea said...

What?!? Crazy nurse. I probably would have been too stunned to say anything in that moment, but I would call back and complain about that nurse. Telling someone a name is unpronouncable (when it's not) is silly but insisting on the heel prick first is ridiculous. You'd think they have never dealt with kids before...

Suellen said...

What a horrible nurse. Seriously? Did she think you wouldn't know the answers because you're a man? What a TOOL!

Unknown said...

Andrea: In the end I decided it just wasn't worth calling back about. We will probably (hopefully) be moving to our permanent residence in a different area in Cinti at the end of the year so we will be changing offices anyway.

Suellen: She was very much implying that I should let the Mom fill it out because as the Dad I am clueless and would not know if my daughter can follow simple directions or looks at what I point to, etc. Actually, I get this from people all the time and I really should get over it, but I can't.