Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Is my inner duck dying?

My short career as an Aflac agent may be about over. I knew it would be hard. I knew I would not make a lot of money right away. But I did not know that Aflac (at least in Michigan) is recruiting like crazy and has saturated the market with agents. This leads to calling businesses that are so sick of Aflac agents calling them that they will not even listen to you. Hence, I have yet to earn a dime, and it could be at least another month before I will.
I'm trying to remain positive about it, but it is tough. The District Coordinators (managers) are supposed to spend a lot of time with new agents to help them out. Supposedly, mine is the best in the state. But she has been so busy--spending extra time recruiting more new agents--that she put me with two agents that started last fall. The one that I was spending the most time with quit yesterday because, after five months, he was barely making minimum wage. This does not instill a lot of confidence in me.
It's sad because Aflac has really great products and it could be a wonderful place to work. But I guess not for me.
I will stick it out for a little longer, but this may be the last week. It is back to the job boards for me!

No comments: