Thursday, February 25, 2010

Isn't Jack Too Young for Mind Games?

I have a lot of my toys from when I was a child stored in our basement. Jack has seen them, since I occasionally pull out one that is age appropriate as a reward (or bribe).
Kate said they had the following conversation on their way home from daycare.

Jack: Daddy has Transformers in the basement.
Kate: He does?
J: Yes, I want one.
K: That's between you and Daddy...but I doubt he will let you have one yet.
J: Hmm, well I don't care if he gives me one.
K: You don't?
J: Well, if I tell him I don't care, then maybe he will give me one.

He's not even four and he is trying to use reverse psychology?

When they got home, before even saying hi, he asked for one.

J: Can I have a Transformer from the basement?
Me: No, they are already packed to go to the Ohio house. And I think you need to be a little older before you can have one.
J: But I want one!
Me: Well, sorry, but they are packed.

He did not say another word about it until right before bedtime. One of our bedtime rituals is for each of us to share what our favorite part of the day was.

Me: What was your favorite part of the day Jack?
Jack: My favorite part of the day was when I got home and you gave me a Transformer. (This is accompanied with a hard, unsmiling stare.)
Me: But I didn't give you one.
Jack: Goodnight Daddy. Sleep well sweet dreams.

At this point, he finally burst out in a big grin.

I love my boy.




3 comments:

amy7252 said...

Hilarious! I love your boy, too!

amypfan said...

Perhaps a future career as a lawyer? Or an enforcer for the Mafia.

Cathy said...

Christopher is CONSTANTLY using reverse psychology on us. But he does not have finesse, he'll say, I Don't Want to go to Chick Fil-A (chichen foooleigh). I tell him I don't either, that I would like to stay home too, so we will. It rarely goes as he intends. Meanwhile, we broke E's Transformers out to give to the nieces on Thanksgiving. BIG HIT! But they cracked into them in front of Chris, who LOVED the Dinobots. So, they let us have the 2 dinobots that were in there, which made the trip to WDW, and one lost a foot and one lost half a head. They survived 30 years, but only 2 weeks with our 4 year old. So, if you want them in decent condition...hang on to them for a while.